Bali Tenganan Village is one of the oldest Balinese Traditional Village located in Karangasem Regency, east part of Bali. This village is much referred by cultural literature science of Tenganan Pegringsingan, which is very famous in the island. It own very unique local community life pattern which is one example of Bali Aga Village cultures (Hindu Prehistoric) and different with other countryside in plain of Bali. Nowadays, this village has been appointed as a place for tourist destination which can present the attractive and unique matters which able to add the variation of object and fascination for tourist to come.
History of Tenganan Village :
There are some versions of story telling us the history of Tenganan village.
- Some say that the word Tenganan was derived from the word “tengah” or “ngatengahang” which means, “move to the inner area”. This derivation of word was having a relation with the movement of the villagers from the seaside to a rural area, in which the position of this village is in the middle of hills, which are western hill (Kauh Hill) and eastern hill (Kangin Hill).
- Another version reveals that the people of Tenganan Village came from Peneges village, located in Gianyar, precisely near Bedahulu. Based on the folklore, once upon a time Bedahulu King lost one of his horses. The people looked for it to the east and the horse was finally found dead by Ki Patih Tunjung Biru, the King’s right hand. For his loyalty, the King finally gave Ki Patih Tunjung Biru an authority to govern the land as far as the aroma of the carrion of the horse can be smelled. Ki Patih was an intelligent person, so he cut the carrion into pieces and spread it as far as he could. Thus he received a quite large area.
Tenganan Village presenting the unique traditional culture
The specification of tourism object at Tenganan Village is consisted of :
- Countrified pattern of rural having the character of Linear.
- The structure of bilateral society orientation at seniority collective.
- Special Ritual System in high frequency by serving the religion solidarity, artistically and social mechanical solidarity.
- The tradition of Mekare-Kare on every June is a faith tradition as the screw pine in ritual context, religion value, spirit of struggle and test of physical delaying accompanied by traditional gamelan of Selonding.
- The Art Crafting Weave of cloth fastens which is famous called by Ikat Pangringsingan that is designed and arranged by the typical color.
Tenganan Village Geographically
Tenganan village is geographically situated among the hill in west and east part of this village. This village is located in Manggis sub district and Karangasem Regency or about 1 hour drive from Denpasar Town. It is a small village consisted of three Banjars (group of local community) those are Banjar Kauh, Banjar Tengah and Banjar Pande. The regional of this village is consisted of three complexes those are resident, plantation and rice field complex. The history of Tenganan village is expressed in a few versions. The first version is mentioned that the resident of Tenganan village are come from Paneges Village, a village is located near with Bedahulu Village that is located Gianyar Regency. The second version is expressed that word of Tenganan recognized in one of Bali inscription that was written by the word of Tranganan. The third version is expressed that the Tenganan Village Resident prays to theBukit Lempuyang Temple. The word of Tenganan is ascribed by a Tengah root word which can mean to aim to middle of Pegringsingan, the fasten cloth type weave that is typically produce by Tenganan village resident. The structure of resident in Tenganan village is built in linear consisted of six rays. Each of ray consisted of some lawn broadly, the building form where the local community use it to present the handicraft for tourists. All the tradition existences of the human being are harmoniously with the God, human and environment as according to Tri Hita Karana concept. The Tourism Destination of Tenganan Village remains to draw during the time, goodness as tourism cultural object, tourism nature and agriculture tourism.
Visitors will feel comfortable when visiting this area, for some facilities are available here, like food stalls, good toilets, arts shops and a quite large parking area. If we wish to have meal in restaurants or to spend the night near this area, we can go to Candidasa, which is only 3 km from this village. To get to Tenganan, get a lift up from the main road by ojek; and have a pleasant walk back down to the main road contemplating the intricacies of the Bali Aga culture. There is no entrance fee to Tenganan but a small donation is requested as we enter Tenganan Village.
Intersting to visit, See price : Bali Car Rental